These amazing machines are an important part of my life. I have divaveled 70 000 miles of oceans on my three praos and even if they were also sources of accidents of life, I remain passionate about this type of multihull because they are stuffed with talents both in cruise and in competition .
Why do all those who enter the world of proa remain attached to these particular boats as soon as they have tasted their indivinsic qualities? There are many reasons that justify this craze:
1. Because the proas allow to go closer to the edges of the speed polar, in areas inaccessible to the catamarans and trimarans close in their geometric characteristics ,
2. Because they are economically interesting sailing boats as soon as we are able to optimize their structures,
3. Because they are the only sailboats that have a real reverse, an important cruise element of comfort and safety ,
4. Because they are the only ones that can be totally stopped even in heavy weather.
5. Because they require to question his marine knowledge, and therefore offer the opportunity to intellectualize the use to his boat,
6. Because they are "logical" sailboats and, moreover, they are the oldest boats in the world. Maybe the proas, as the oldest ships, are engrammed in our genes ...
Database on proas
I have gathered here a set of information about "Western" proas able to navigate other than as a beach gear. These proas have existed or are still sailing. You will find their main characteristics and at least two images that characterize them. Of course, this list is not exhaustive and I will be happy to enrich it. If you notice that errors have crept into the cards, I will be happy to be notified and I will correct them.
For that, you can download the form that you can fill up and send to me :
In addition, if you have specific information on proas Atlantic or Pacific that are not in the list, download the form, fill it and send it back with not too bad (if possible) photos that characterize this prao.
Here is a list of proas ...
Atlan. = prao atlantique / Pacif. = prao Pacifique / Atlan Pacif. = prao monodrome
1A. About face
Atlan - 50 ft
Book on proas
A technical book on proas that I wish the most exhaustive possible is being written. The above database will be included in its annexes. This book will discuss the differences between Atlantic and Pacific proas, different rigs, rudders and daggerboards, maneuvers, design and construction of these vessels.